Monday, April 4, 2022

Speaking of Mountains-

 As is typically their routine, the happy wanderers went hiking this past weekend.  They decided on a moderate four+ mile loop up to the WLOS antenna tower atop Mount Pisgah nearby. 

The tower at the peak- their destination

Always up for a glorious trek anywhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway and through the amazing tunnels that cut through the mountains, they packed up their bagel & egg sandwiches and caffeine beverages of choice (along with water and healthy snacks, of course) early Saturday morning and left me to sleep the morning away. 
WLOS Antenna Tower

The trail ran alongside the Parkway for a bit before veering off and up to the antenna,
Mom's expression says it all....

and the last stretch before reaching the tower was quite the rocky stair-stepping workout. 
One of dad's favorite views. And the rock trail is cool, too....

They like heading out early to beat the crowds, and this hike was no exception as they had the place to themselves more or less for a short time before more hikers arrived at the peak. 
The hiking buddies and the tower, slightly artified



Now, there won't be any pictures, but speaking of mountains, dad's gotta go in for hernia surgery in a few weeks.  Yep, he recently noticed a, umm, bulge that comes and goes and ranges in size from a golf ball to a canned pear half just north and to the left of his (insert any one of 175 names he has for it here)
I guess he'll be laid up for a couple of days, but it's pretty routine from what I've heard them saying., and I'll likely get some extra lap time out of it.  He won't be able to do any heavy lifting at first, and as to be expected, I can already see his brain starting to form some jokes half-wit remarks about not being able to pick me up, which is just fine since I'm not much of one for being picked up or held anyway.  I'll always go for the extra lap time, but I'm sure he'll be itching to get back to work asap, plus mom will likely be ready to have him out of her hair before long, too.

17 comments:

Lynn and Precious said...

Cleo, so glad your mom and dad got a nice big hike with clear blue sky and sunshine. Wish we had some of that Sunshine up here in Ohio. You'll have to be sure to do lots of doctoring for your dad while he's laid up. The matter fact dad might lay it on kind of thick and you think that is really really sick. So just be careful he doesn't trick you into lots of lap time. We'll be thinking about all of you.

Eastside Cats said...

We live in the flatlands, Cleo...to climb anything, we have to drive for hours! I'd love to hike in those mountains.
As for hernia surgery, The Hubby had his in 2020, after suffering with it for YEARS AND YEARS, the big dope.
The doc's have this procedure down pat now, but surgery is surgery, so we'll send purrs along that everything is okay.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh Cleo what a gorgeous trek you staff had and I know you were happy to be left home alone in charge of your domain.
We love Mt. Pisgah heck we love the NC mountains no matter the name. Ouch of Dad' hernia surgery. My Bryan had double hernia surgery back in the late 1980's then a single hernia surgery about 15 years ago. you will need to walk gingerly across dad's tum. Many wishes for quick surgery and an even quicker recovery for ALL concerned
Hugs Cecilia

Sandee said...

What a fun hike and I had to laugh with the take the effing picture. I laughed out loud.

Have my fingers and toes crossed for dads successful surgery. Hubby had the surgery and he was feeling pretty good in a couple of weeks.

Have a fabulous day and week. Scritches to Cleo. ♥

da tabbies o trout towne said...

CRACKIN UP at momz commint ta dad !!!! ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

N we due hope dadz sir jerry goes well N hiz road ta ree coveree
iz smooth ~~~~~

happee week a had cleo; stay gorgeouz :) ♥♥

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am exhausted just looking at that hike!I am sending good thoughts for your dad's surgery and hope he has a good recovery.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those mountains really are pretty sweet Cleo. Did either of them climb up that tower!

Katie Isabella said...

I loved this bloggie today. I love NC as much as my own TN. And Mountains R Us.
Good Luck Dad of Cleo. A friend of mine is going thru similar surgery in a couple days. Both of you will be in my thoughts.

Ivan from WMD said...

Good luck to your dad. Just remember not to knead that place when he's recuperating, Cleo!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That looks like such a fun hike! I would go on it!"
Charlee: "We are sending lots of purrs for a successful surgery and quick recovery for your dad!"

Saku said...

That was great place to hike for the beans, though I think you had to right idea to stay home and nap Cleo.

Paws crossed that the dad beans surgery goes well and he's up to lots of lap time.

Darla M Sands said...

Oh, I wish my husband would hike. ~sigh~ I've lamented before so let me move on and say your family is awesome. ~hugs~ I wish you all the best of health and happiness.

meowmeowmans said...

Wow, that looks like it was quite the hike by your folks, Cleo! Paws and fingers crossed that Dad's surgery and recovery are smooth. Hugs!

Leah said...

Marvelous hike through the mountains! I love the mountains in NC and VA. I actually live near where the range ends. All good wishes for successful surgery for your Dad, Cleo, and a fast recovery. I'm sure you will be an enormous help!

pilch92 said...

I will be praying your Dad's surgery goes well. Nice photos except something is missing- you. Thank you for the kind words you left on my blog for the loss of Sammy. XO

catladymac said...

Kinda glad they didn't plan to climb the tower itself ! Purrayers that your Dad's surgery goes well.

The Island Cats said...

That was some hike...and it sure looks like your peeps enjoyed it, Cleo. Purrs that your dad's surgery goes well. ~Ernie