Friday, April 28, 2023

What Do You Mean, I Have to Share?

Okay, we're back. As I mentioned in my solo previous post, dad was away for work and me and mom had to hold down the fort. We've had to do everything ourselves in dad's absence, and besides poop-scooping duty, playing with me, and a few other things I've noticed since adopting them, I'm not entirely sure what, exactly, dad does around here. Dad was off in some far away foreign land called Brooklyn, that he says is crazy different from where we live, babysitting for a couple of canines I think he talked about before I came along. I think he also had some real work to do in between, but I don't know enough to elaborate. So in this far away land, instead of mountains, trees, waterfalls,  hiking trails, and fresh air, they have tall buildings, lots of concrete, metal, and glass, and way, way too many weird people, legal human-catnip stink and honking horns.  One of dad's favorite things to do while there is hanging out at Domino Park, part of a massive renovation currently happening at an old Domino Sugar Refinery building.


According to dad, this place has quite a history and was built like a million years ago and processed much of the sugar used in this country.

Of course, like so many other industries, that's gone by the wayside, and although some of the original buildings have been demolished, the refinery building is going to be part of a gigunda mixed-use complex. This is the smaller of his two charges

 and here's a profile of the other, who towers over dad when standing on his hind legs. That's the Williamsburg Bridge they're next to. Dad told me and mom that he walked over to The Lower East Side 3 or 4 times while up there, but it's funny how he doesn't have any pictures to prove it.

The views across the river from Domino Park show a part of Manhattan,

and if you look closely in this next one you can see the Statue of Liberty way off in the distance under the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges. 

This is super exciting and all, and as you can see, I've been captivated by all this NYC- and pooch-related stuff on MY blog, but. . . 



18 comments:

My Mind's Eye said...

Smudge MOL MOL MOL "can we please get back to me now?"
That was some ending and I giggled. Enough sharing

I've been to NYC many times...the last time was in 1987 when we took our daughter to NYC for her 16th bday. There was surely lots to see and do but OMCs the crowds.
Glad to read that Dad is home the pups he cared for are very lucky to have him.
Hugs Cecilia

Sandee said...

I'm glad dad is back. You're glad dad is back and mom is glad dad is back. Looks like he made the best of the time he was there.

Have a purrfect day and weekend, Smudge. My best to your peeps. ♥

Darla M Sands said...

Your dad has a very interesting career. :D I'm glad he's back safe at home and appreciate his awesome photos even if they're not all about you, sweet girl.

Saku said...

Glad your Dad is back and in position to spoil you again...as you deserve.

Mom bean has done a couple of cruises out of NYC (Brooklyn) and sailed under the bridge. She says it is really something to see in the dark, all lit up with the vehicles.

Lynn and Precious said...

Smudge, your dad better come home without wolfie smell on him. Guaranteed, he can't hold them on his lap like you. You did good sharing his travel brochure with the hoomans that look here. I'm like you, stay home and wait fur a good time. Precious

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I watched a show not that long ago that highlighted that park (and other industrial areas remade). It was really cool!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Aww! Your Dad's temporary charges in Brooklyn look very nice!"
Charlee: "Pfft. Just more dogs."
Oona: "I LIKE DOGS!!! As long as they don't boop me too hard."
Chaplin: "Pipe down, kid, you'll give us cats a bad rap."

Zoolatry said...

Is this fur real? Every time I go to the market for groceries (on senior day, of course) I pass by the Domino Sugar plant. And I'm not in B Brooklyn, but the B Baltimore city! Now I'm going to be forced to take a photo, read about it (think it still makes sugar ...?) and see what's up here!
Otherwise, happy homecoming, guess you're the Sugar Daddy, mmm.

Zoolatry said...

... just emailed you a bag of Baltimore sugar ...

Eastside Cats said...

Smudge, he should never leave you without your strict approval!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Glad your dad is back home, and hopefully not smelling like dogs!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I'm sure glad your Dad is home safe and sound. Anytime a human travels to the NYC area and comes back safely that's a real accomplishmen. Those pups do look pretty cute sweet Smudge!

pilch92 said...

Cute pups. I love NYC to visit, but would never want to live there. Unfortunately, my state legalized pot and my neighbor is always smoking the skunk stuff. UGH!
Glad your dad is back home with you and your mom.

Katie Isabella said...

How good your Dad is back and that he had some pictures to show you and all of is! Gosh. Mom said she's a weenie and wouldn't want to go there. It's been a long time since she was, and since she's a weenie, she said she'll keep it that way.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Even though she has been to New York City mangy times, #1 had never heard of Domino Park!

Smudge, you are of course the single most important element of this blog!

Purrs,
The Chans

meowmeowmans said...

We are glad Dad came back home, Smudge. After all, you are the center of the universe!

BTW, your dad was just across the river from my workplace (in Midtwn Manhattan).

Hugs!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

smudge;

stoppin bye witha SUN day HI

N sneekin round on free WI FI

long with uz iz copee & paste

fish on de grillz reddy two baste ♥♥♥

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

My parents were from Brooklyn!!!! You are right though that it is quite different from where you are right now. I think your Dad is the BEST that he went and babysat woofies!!