Sunday, August 30, 2026

Playful? What?

We try. We really do. Smudge's mom and I are well aware of the importance of interacting with our pets, and especially those of the senior set. Keeping our furry little loved ones active and engaged is important, especially when they're, well, of advanced age, let's say (I can say that since I'm fast approaching it myself). As with Cleopatra and Orbit before her, Smudge takes up a ginormous space in our collective hearts. As much as we often get annoyed with her indifference, how she prefers to ignore us, and the way she looks away whenever we try to talk to her, we love her for who she is and that'll never change. Now that the mushy, serious stuff is out of the way, here, you'll see just how playful she really can be. One of her favorite lounging spots is in the middle of the living room floor, where she loves to sprawl out on her side, occasionally stretching and maybe getting up once in a while to face the other way or roll over. The other day, her mom went to lie down next to her to lavish her with love and attention, and to maybe get her to play a bit. We try. We really do. 





At least one of them seemed to be having fun...

18 comments:

Zoolatry said...

Adorable. June isn't even a senior, but does very well in the "I can ignore you much of the time department." If'n I ever attempted to lay down next to her or OMG touch like that ... a call to 911 would quickly be made. Lucky Mom, good Smudge [temporarily?] P.S. we suggest Smudge check out our 9/2 post contest, she will maybe know why ...

The Florida Furkids said...

Good job keeping your Mom active!!!

Eastside Cats said...

Aww, Smudge...giving your peeps the silent treatment.
What a cat!

Lynn and Precious said...

How sweet Smudge. Yer mommy is tryin' her bestest to entertain you. Better'n Bob Hope! I used to play soccer with Lynn and leap and catch the soft ball. Then I took to just runnin' after it, and now I don't wanna be bothered. Let me sleep like a 15 year old oughta.

Gidget Blue Sky said...

so Smoogie, dee mum bot me a track ball thingy that will be delivered today by amazon, we will see how that goes........

da tabbies o trout towne said...

smudge...itz all bout cat a tood ...rite....noe matter yur age...itz all bout...cat a tood !!! ☺☺♥♥

Katie Isabella said...

Smudge, I swear, I was the opposite. I could not get enough of Mommy. Except when I was sleeping that is.
Angel Katie.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "We cats understand that humans need to be entertained, so we indulge ours sometimes just like you are doing, Smudge."

The Island Cats said...

Smudge, humans do some strange things sometimes. But we still love them anyways.

pilch92 said...

Awww..very sweet photos of Smudge and her mom.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Too cute! Mudpie will give her track toy a whack, and then when I bend over to play with her she walks away!

Brian's Home Blog said...

It's nice to see you having such a big time sweetest Smudge!

catladymac said...

And yet somehow they manage to convey warmth and comfort to us.

meowmeowmans said...

Aww, we think this is adorable. One of the most important parts of play is that it's a shared activity. And at least Mom and Smudge are sharing laying on the floor, right? :)

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

I think Smudge was tired

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Togetherness is the key word here. She clearly loves it most when you're all together.

Darla M Sands said...

Nobody has enjoyed a proper play session in several days here, at least not with me. ~sigh~ But I won't give up. :D

Danielle L Zecher said...

It's interesting how some cats are all about playing with their humans and some cats seem to prefer that we leave them alone. They're all unique!