Sunday, August 23, 2026

Foggy Schmoggy

One of the things dad says he loves about being back in western NC is the amazing fog. Now, I know I get excited about mundane things like, oh wait, I don't really get excited about anything. Nevermind. Anyway, the fog- dad likes to take pictures of it, and last weekend, while he & mom were hiking Two Sisters and a View Loop Trail in Montreat, snapped these. 




And here's the happy hikers harmoniously hamming it up at Rattlesnake Rock-


These last two are just from nearby. This was taken on the way to dad's work one recent morning,
and he took this one while out getting their morning beverages downtown a few weekends ago.
Pretty exciting, I know (insert yawn here). I'm buzzing with glee at these intoxicating shots (more yawns), but my favorite part is when they return from hiking.
Helping dad rest his weary post-hike legs

You gotta admit, these are much more titillating that that damn fog, no?
Dad says it looks like I'm smiling in this last one.

And why wouldn't I be? I'm in my happy place.

18 comments:

The Florida Furkids said...

That's pretty amazing fog, but not as amazing as your sweet smile!

My Mind's Eye said...

Smudge, Brian and Maureen I totally agree about being back in Western NC. Beauty all around you.
Once we were staying at The Swag in Waynesville (5,000' elevation) We took our coffee out the some Adirondack chairs that were overlooking a village called Jacob's Ladder...First time ever I have been able to look at the top of a cloud.
Loved the post and the photos
Hugs to all
Cecilia

The J-Cats said...

You DO look as if you're smiling, Smudge - and not just in the last picture!

Lynn and Precious said...

Smudge, we know yer smilin' acause you got in da last photo and makin' fun of dad. Lynn likes da look of the cotton candy fog. She likes she lives onna hill but she likes mountains more. Yer a good heatin' pad fur dad's tired legs.

Eastside Cats said...

Fog is fascinating, Smudge!
We flatlanders aren't able to get above it, like these photos, which is fun.
Sorry to play my 'I'm not cool anymore' card, along with your pawrents.

Gidget Blue Sky said...

Oh Smudgie, yoo iza so dern cutez!!!! dee mum luvz dee fog too. she grew up in dee san francisco bay area and it wuzza fun to walk or drive in dee fog or watch it roll in

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

It is not fun to be left alone. Much better when mom and dad are home. Great fog photos.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's such a sweet and happy smile sweet Smudge! The fog does look cool!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

smudge....ewe N yur pawrentz live in de awesum est place !!! total lee cool....we iz big time fog loverz here....well....till it getz ta wear ya canna see yur own pawz on de ground !! then it getz kinda spookee...but still cool !!! glad ewe iz havin a happee dreem ☺☺☺☺♥♥

Katie Isabella said...

Smudge, some of mom's most fave pics are of the fog over the (Clinch) river...up in the mountains...and as I live not too far from the Smokies, headed over the mountains to see one of my boys...in Charlotte...I have a lot of them. Most of that type are in my Flickr account. Now you ARE smiling in every one of those pictures, Don't pretend that you are immune to your Mom and Dad. You aren't. You have them in your paws and you know it

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

You're just dreamy, Smudge! The fog really is beautiful and mysterious.

pilch92 said...

That is a lot of fog. Nice selfie of your parents and beautiful shots of you. XO

The Island Cats said...

That looks like being in the clouds!

meowmeowmans said...

Smudge, that fog is wonderful. What a dramatic view it makes for! It's very nice to see Mom and Dad -- they look so happy doing that hiking thing. And YOU look so happy in those photos -- happy place, indeed. XO

messymimi said...

I understand why the fog is beautiful to many people, but you in your happy place is more beautiful.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, we love it when the fog rolls in here! It brings in so many smells from the ocean! You cats must love it, it probably reminds you of fish!"
Charlee: "We wouldn't know. We don't go outside in it."
Java Bean: "And I bet the fog in North Carolina smells just like the woods! What do you think, Charlee?"
Charlee: "WE WOULDN'T KNOW."

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

There is no doubt, Smudge, that your pictures are far superior! At last they're not foggy, hah hah! Still, the fog pics were nice too, particularly the one of your devoted servants. We have good fog in our part of France and the season is just now beginning to get under way.

Purrs,
The Chans

Darla M Sands said...

You are living your best life, for sure. :D I'd like to join your mom and dad on a hike. ~sigh~ My guy barely wants to walk the length of the house these days. But he's still with me, so that's good.