Friday, September 16, 2011

A Perfect Morning

As much as I've talked about sitting with mom and dad it's been quite a while since I've curled up on dad's lap when he sits and reads in the early morning hours.  This morning, however, I felt that I needed some quality dad time.  Long, long time ago, when dad lived  by himself I was always right there on his lap in the morning, but as time went by and new faces came along and new situations arose we kind of got away from that routine.  Enter mom, with whom I've bonded like I'd never have imagined. 
     I'd slept out in the living room, and I awoke to dad stirring at around four this morning as he shuffled out to the kitchen for his first cup of coffee.  I followed him lazily and sat next to him while he stirred his lifeblood, then followed him out to the loveseat.  Once he was comfortably situated I hopped up onto his lap and settled right in, nuzzling my cool, wet nose and forehead against his right arm and instantly, it seemed, falling asleep.
     I only left a tiny, stinky spot of drool on his stomach, and once he'd drained his coffee cup I stretched and headed for the empty side of the loveseat while he rose with a groan and went for a refill.  The whole time he read I could sense, through my sleep-haze, that he was stroking my back gently and scratching my neck, and it made me realize just how good I have it here. 

5 comments:

Fluffy and Heather said...

You have a family that really loves you, Orbit, despite the drool. ;)

Katnip Lounge said...

Such a wonderful way to wake up! The drool was a nice touch.

Daisy said...

4:00 am?!? I thought my Mommeh got up early at 5:30!

Cara n Crew said...

We bet your dad enjoyed the "cat time". Life is good isn't it?

Pip, Smidgen, Minnie, HOllie

Athena said...

So nice to haf that time wif your dad! I'm sure he didn't mind the drool at all.