Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Out and About

     With nicer weather (and their need to shape up their ever-aging bods) mom and dad have begun to get out and about more.  Things are finally starting to settle down here what with address changes, new doctors, dentists, optometrists and veterinarians, license & registration updates and all that other stuff we felines thankfully don't need to worry about.  To be honest, mom's the one who takes care of this stuff, and that's all I'm gonna say about that. 


 Anyway, Westgate Nature Park isn't far from us, and mom and dad went for a stroll recently to explore. 
That's mom looking over the edge
The park isn't very big, but it has a wonderful raised boardwalk winding through wetlands and ending in an outdoor classroom. 

Mom chillaxin'
 

     Along the way there's a playground for the little ones,
plenty of well-lighted parking, wildlife information,
benches to rest one's weary bones and even a little free library. 
Isn't this just the coolest thing?
These pint sized repositories are scattered throughout the world and are really awesome.

     Go to ncwriters.org and click "Writers Network News" in the right column and scroll to page 18 to see a great photo spread of these wonderful little free libraries. You can also learn more about them by visiting littlefreelibrary.org where you'll learn all about the tens of thousands that are set up across the globe.  Dad has thought about building one, but dad thinks about doing a lot of things and if his record of getting projects completed started is what mom says it is this little portion of the planet won't see a dad-built model anytime soon. 

note: according to the less brilliant half of this blog's authorship the above links worked when he tested them, but...
     

11 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

That looks like a nice park and that walkway is pretty darn cool!

The Swiss Cats said...

What a nice park for a walk ! Purrs

Timmy Tomcat said...

That is a nice park. The idea of those little libraries is great. We have none around us so may have to visit yours Cleo.
Timmy and Family

Summer said...

We have several Little Free Libraries in our neighborhood! I think it might have been a school project a few years back around here...

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That looks a lovely place to walk around.

Eastside Cats said...

I see those little libraries everywhere, and I've been meaning to add some of my unused books to them. Cool park!

pilch92 said...

I would love to start one of those little libraries near me, but we are out in the country.

Furries said...

That looks like a nice nature walk, but I definitely would not want to encounter a copperhead or a rattlesnake.

My Mind's Eye said...

Cleo...OMCs are you one lucky lady. Yay for 2 leggers doing all the work and you sit back living the life!!
Leland is a very lovely coast city. What fun the parks and trails will be in the spring when it STOPS raining.
Hugs Cecilia

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

that looks like a lovely park to visit. You reminded me that I took a TON of photos in the fall at a park my husband and I went to and I never shared them. I have seen those little libraries around and I think they are brilliant!

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

That boardwalk is really cool! I think those little libraries are so cute.