Sunday, September 13, 2026

Quality Reading Time

Being avid readers, mom and dad like to spend parts of every weekend catching up on their reading. Typically, mom does the majority of her reading at bedtime, though she almost always ends up nodding off, the book slowly dropping to her face til it bonks her on the nose. Dad, on the other hand, does the bulk of his in the wee hours of the morning, when normal humans would still be asleep. Weekends 'round here are usually filled with errands, hiking, and the week's kitchen prep work (mom still does lots and lots of scratch cooking & baking), but they always try to squeeze in cozy time with a good novel wherever they can. On this particular recent Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I decided to join them on the bed.

I just love burying myself deep into the fictitious world of a good novel. How am I doing?  



24 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

Smudge, you're doing a terrific job!
As for dropping a book on my head while nodding off, I drop my phone because I'm listening to an audiobook...and that phone HURTS when it hits.

Kitties Blue said...

Rip Van Winkle has nothing on you. There is nothing like a good book to induce a nap attack, and by the way, you look totally adorable. XOCK, angels Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid & Sawyer, Lisbeth, Calista Jo, Cooper Murphy, Kizmet, Audrey, Raleigh, Gibbs & Tali

TurtleLover said...

You are doing a great job!

The Florida Furkids said...

You're really immersed in that book! MOL

Brian's Home Blog said...

You are doing great sweet Smudge and your snoozy pics are most precious!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Our Mama and Dada read at bedtime sometimes, too! Our Mama has a contraption that holds her Kindle in a clamp over her head so if she falls asleep, the Kindle just stays here hovering above her until she wakes up. Or until Dada moves it out of the way ..."

Lynn and Precious said...

Smudge, you look purrfectly happy with whatever book they are reading. Lynn tends to put me to sleep with her reading when I do leg time. Don't know why our hoomans don't just want to stare at us instead of print, mol.

Gidget Blue Sky said...

Smudgerz!!! yoo fit berry nicely between dee 2 pillowz!

Darla M Sands said...

You are adorable!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

smudge...984 PAWZ UP ona job well done...yur fotoz thiz week total lee rox !!! hope de book waz a grate one N heerz two mor happee reedin in de week a head ☺☺♥♥

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

Smudge I think is dreaming a good story

The Island Cats said...

MOL! Smudge, looks like you’re more into dreaming than reading.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Reading is by far the best time to hang out with your people, Smudge!

Purrs,
The Chans

Katie Isabella said...

Oh gosh Smudge...you are doing GREAT! LOOK at you...an example to us all. Mom has dropped a book onto her face countless times. Even on the Admiral a few times. Now me, Angel Katie, when I crawled up onto her chest, my chine as just a few inches from her mouth, so I never allowed her to read in bed. We'd read in a chair...

pilch92 said...

It is good you don't lay on top of her. Dusty does that to me and one time I fell asleep and dropped the book on her. She got scared and racetracked over my face-still have the scar. You are truly a sleeping beauty. XO

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Cats + books = purrfection!

messymimi said...

I'll bet the plots you dream up are as good as any bestsellers out there.

Zoolatry said...

Chapter One was apparently such a bore ...

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Smudge, you are gorgeous and doing a great job 👏 ❤️

Danielle L Zecher said...

You look so cute and cozy with your parents! I also tend to drop my book and get bonked in the face with it.

meowmeowmans said...

Aww, you look like a really good (and adorably relaxed) reader, Smudge!

The J-Cats said...

Cats and books belong together. That is Mummy's idea of Heaven. A kitty on her lap, a lovely piece of Mewsic playing in the background, and a good book.

My Mind's Eye said...

Smudge I'm like mom I doze off reading.
I love that you sit by them.
I hope the 'puter woes solve themselves soon
Hugs cecilia

Ananka said...

OMG you are too cute <3 Love the photos :-D