Sunday, August 4, 2024

Jet-Lagged

Back Home

 But we drove, Smudge. No flying was involved, and it was only 20 hours and one time zone away.

Yeah, but it took a lot out of me. I thought riding from Asheville to this place when we moved here would be the last time I'd have to ride in a moving vehicle.


Oh, come on-  You were the best riding companion ever, and besides, you slept through most of it, right? I mean, once you settled down it was like you'd done it a hundred times in your howevermanyteen years.

I guess. Besides, I think I'm more exhausted from listening to you and mom go at each other about driving than I am from the trip. 


What are you saying? I did all the driving and for the most part, enjoyed it. I think I'm the one who should be exhausted. 

I'll let you in on a little secret- mom let you drive. From what I gather, you don't like mom's front-seat driving, and she doesn't like your back-seat driving. She just didn't wanna hear it. Got it?


Touché. Well, seeing this set of grandkids for the first time since before COVID-19 was a joy, and as always, the time was way too short. Sure, 4 days total of driving wasn't so great, but hanging out with three silly, overly energized grandboys was worth more than anything in the world, even if they had a little too much fun with Grandpa's hairy back and ugly toes. The mini-golf, fishing, smores & popcorn over the fire, and, especially, tubing behind the boat were a treat. And don't get me started on the giggly 9-year-old walking, talking fart factory. Who knew one wiry little body could harness so much gas. Anyway, perhaps one day if/when I retire, we'll be able to travel more.

Great. Looking forward to it.


21 comments:

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Sounds like everyone had a great time apart from all the driving. Now you can rest up and recover your energy.

Lynn and Precious said...

Smudge we are so glad to hear you survived

Lynn and Precious said...

Hooman Dwarfs. Then the finger hit the publish button too fast. The only time I ever see these kind of dwarfs if I make the mistake of looking out the window at the wrong time. No doubt you have plenty of jet lag and your dad has got to go back to work and kill himself walking and mowing. Lynn feels a tiny bit better but she still won't kiss me because she says she has covid cooties. She got them when the man who rubs my belly came home from a week-long bicycle tour, walked in the door, and sneezed in her face. None of us are happy here at the moment. Precious

My Mind's Eye said...

MOL MOL MOL
Snudge your post-vacation post had me ROTF.oh the things you saw that you cannot unSee. Thanks for giggles added by your Dad too.

Smudge I am in awe you are indeed an expert traveler. That was a lot of riding. My sciatica would have been screaming and Brian all those steps you take in a day have me applauding.

Very happy the visit to the Grands went well and OMCs little boys are so uninhibited, you gotta love it.


Hugs Cecilia

Brian's Home Blog said...

It looks like you did great on the car ride thing sweet Smudge, good for you!

The J-Cats said...

Did you have fun, Smudge? Did you enjoy meeting the little bipeds?

Gidget Blue Sky said...

smudgie, yoo look like a seasoned travel pro

Eastside Cats said...

Smudge, you wouldn't have missed that trip for the world!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

smudge.....dad N mom had ta drive 29,304 milez sure....but 984 PAWZ UP for bee in abe bull ta see gran kidz and HAZ an awesum pawsum time ~~~~ welcome home....now make sure ewe
get seered perch each N everee day for de ...rest oh de yeer :) ♥♥♥

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

That does sound like a lot of driving! Many years ago, when #1 lived in Chicago and had one cat, she would pack up the car and him in it, and drive every summer to Prince Edward Island in Canada. It was something like 1600 miles over three days! But they then stayed put there at least two months before returning!

Purrs,
The Chans

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, that's a long time to spend in a car, especially when you haven't got your head stuck out the window!"
Lulu: "There's never any question about who's going to drive here when Dada is involved ― he ALWAYS drives, because nobody wants him throwing up in their car."

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

What a pawsome little traveler you are, Smudge! Mudpie has some miles on her too. She started out in western NY near the PA border, was transferred to a shelter in central VT, and I adopted her and brought her to northern VT! Thankfully she's really good in the car too.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

TBT: I once drove with a cat free in the car. It turned out that her favorite place was under the brake pedal. So you can imagine my concern had there been an emergency stop.

I stopped at a restaurant and they gave me a large box and some tape. I cut out a LOT of slots of course. Never drove with a cat not in a regular carrier again!

The Island Cats said...

What a trip, Smudge! I don’t think I would want to spend that much time in a car. ~Murphy

Darla M Sands said...

That's a long drive, for sure, and I'm glad you all made it safe there and back while enjoying family time. You're a trooper, Smudge, and you deservedly scored loving parents. Hugs and best wishes to you and yours.

meowmeowmans said...

That is a lot of time in the car, Smudge! We are glad that all in all, everyone had an enjoyable time. :)

messymimi said...

Heeheehee! You are a hoot, both of you. I wish I could retire, too.

Your grandchildren sound like a great bunch and I hope you get to see them again soon.

Saku said...

Wow, that's a long drive Smudge. I don't like car rides at all.

Sticky beans aren't my faves either, but mom bean laughed at the fart machine. She has a seven year old grandson much like that kid.

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Awww!!!! Sooooooooo happy you went!