Thursday, June 13, 2024

Sssssssss

 Since the warmer weather has been here, I've gotten glimpses out our front door of the local wildlife. Even though we can hear the stupid noisy traffic, our neighborhood is teeming with birds, rabbits, squirrels, and humans. The other day while mom and dad were sitting in the living room, dad said he saw me pacing back and forth, nearly frantic and all but trying to go through the screen door. If you look real close, you can see our newest visitor slithering through the mulch. I wanted to pounce something fierce, let me tell you.



I couldn't take my eyes off the intruder. Oh, how I wanted to play with him, and dad was like "and what would you do if you could get him?" and I was like "give me a second" and dad was like "you'd probably freak out and run upstairs and hide" and I was like "listen mister, I'm scared of lots of things but I'd pounce on his tail, whap him around a bit, let him get away a few inches and then pounce some more" and dad was like "right, right. You're afraid of your own shadow" and I was like "don't you have somewhere to be?" and he was like "just saying" and I was like "I think mom's calling you. Get out of my face" and then the not-plaything wound his way across our welcome mat and off into the grass and life went on. 



 

16 comments:

Lynn and Precious said...

Smudge, Lynn loves snakes. I've not been lucky enough to have one on my patio. So I'm kind of jealous. And I know good and well that we cats would know just what to do with a little snake like that if our mommies and daddies would just leave us alone.

Crafting Queen said...

I am sure you would have beaten up that visitor of yours. lol Humans know nothing. Have a great week Smudge. Purrs from Patch, Flower and Archer. x

Eastside Cats said...

You'd have handled that slithery creature purrfectly, Smudge!

TurtleLover said...

I can just imagine your conversation in my head as I was reading along ... LOL and life goes on ...
maybe today you will find something new and different .... then post about it tomorrow .... and I will get to giggle again .... yes yes sounds good to me!

Gidget Blue Sky said...

ew yuck, dee mum hates snakes, but last month there wuz wun in dee frunt yard, mum hopes it wint to ive in dee nayborz yard. but yeah, dey prolly wood be fun to play with

My Mind's Eye said...

MOL MOL MOL Smudge...
What a dreamer you are maybe when you were a young fiesty whippersnapper. I thoroughly enjoyed your conversation with dad. As for me I don't like creepy crawly slithering
scaly things.
Thanks for the MOL LOL
Cecilia

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am sure you would have given that snake what for if you could get to it, Smudge. Flynn used to catch snakes which was okay until he found a viper's nest and kept bringing back the babies for me.

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

Such things require concentrated, uninterrupted attention! We have lizards to entertain us here. And #1 and Ollie found a next of slow worms under a big rock! They are quite harmless so they were left in peace.

Purrs,
The Chans

pilch92 said...

Maybe your folks could go to youtube and find a snake video for cats that you can have fun with and be safe. XO

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

Probably just as well to let Snakey go about his business.

Tony McGurk said...

Danger Noodles are best avoided, especially the venomous kind. Here in Tasmania we only have 3 species of snake, Tiger Snake, Lowland Copperhead & White Lipped Snake aka Whip Snake. All three are highly venomous. If I see one I steer clear.

Brian's Home Blog said...

WOW, you do have some interesting things to watch out there sweet Smudge!

meowmeowmans said...

Wow, you have some interesting critter TV there, Smudge. For what it's worth, we think you would have given it the what for!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean (peering closely at snake): "That's not the one that got me."
Charlee: "You say that every time there's a picture of a snake."
Java Bean: "Ayyy, it's important information!"

Saku said...

I don't doubt you'd take care of that slithery thing. Those airplane ears in the last photo show that you're furry serious!

Darla M Sands said...

I have a fond memory of my soul mate kitty Luna dragging a garter snake across the lawn. At first I feared she developed a limp until realizing she kept tripping over the tail end. lol She dropped the reptile at my feet belly up but flipping the creature over proved no damage suffered. Oh, to have owned a smart phone with camera. My husband can only imagine the scene. Best wishes!