Thursday, January 6, 2022

What's in a Name

If we remember correctly, one of my earliest posts was about the names dad had taken to calling me.  I don't want to rehash them as they were pretty insulting, but I thought I'd update things.  Dad's monikers for me have morphed into something a little softer, more gentle and loving, if you will.  Since I've known mom and dad I think I've heard their actual names mentioned exactly no times.  If I didn't know better, I'd say their names were Honey, Babe, Sweetie, Snookums (gag), Hon, Baby, Sweetums, Handsome Man, Sexy (please make it stop) Honey Pie (ew), Gorgeous, Princess (yep), Sweetz- I think I just threw up in my mouth a little, and I'm pretty sure I've even heard that word on the mug I got mom for Christmas (in jest, I'm sure).  Anyway, you get the picture.  So as I said, in his waning years dad's changed his tune and has kinder, gentler choices of nicknames for me now.  Sort of.  Sure, I get "Cleo" or "Cleopatra" now and then, and that's usually followed by an exclamation mark, and that's mostly by mom- sorry mom. A visitor to our home would think my name was: Girly Girl, Sweetie (yep, me and mom share that one), Gorgeous Girl, Sweetie Kitty, Mrs. Lady Cat, Girly Pants (not sure about that one since, well, I don't wear pants), Silly Girl and Miss Snotty Pants (again with the pants?).  I'm sure there are more, but you get the gist of it.  And for the record, dad hasn't entirely let up on the more disparaging ones, like Stinky Butt, Stinky Old Lady- not sure what's up with the "Stinky" theme since we lady cats never stink.  How 'bout y'all?  What dumbassed nicknames have your humans come up with?

21 comments:

Lynn and Precious said...

I like to get called to dinner, but in the meantime it is
Sweetie-Pie-Snookums-Hunnybunch-Precious all in one breath.
How's a girl to answer to all that! And Lynn is just Lynn to me
no mommy names for her. And Cleo, you best be breaking dad
of the stinky pants stuff before you decide to make it a reality.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Lord Burton Bearbottom feels the same - instead of the appropriate "Your Lordship" he usually gets Baby Fluffbutt, Fluffmuffin, Stinkmuffin, Sir Stinksalot...

Greg_1948 in_WA said...

I pretty much stay on script unless someone is caught doing something bad. Then they are liable to be called anything.

Saku said...

I'm pretty much Saku all the time, though sometimes mom bean calls me Mister or sweet boy. Oh, and then she says I'm a pest but I don't know if that's a name or not.

There sure was a lot of sugar in that list of names. MOL!

Eastside Cats said...

They can call you anything, as long as they don't call you late for dinner, amiright?
Hahahaha!

Sandee said...

With your name you should never be called anything derogatory. Tell your dad I said so.

Have a purrfect day, Cleo. ♥

da tabbies o trout towne said...

cleo....well, mack sack cracker jack and dai$y pochaysee fit thiz bill two, dont cha think ;) ☺☺♥♥

The Island Cats said...

I get called Ernie Benernie sometimes. Weird....

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am not sure about the stinky names, but the others are sweet terms of endearment.

Mickey's Musings said...

The cute names are good. The name calling(stinky butt) are not.
Why your humans like to smell a butt that is supposed to be "stinky" is beyond me ;)
Anyway, I do like the nice names :)
The most common names I get ate Joolie Doolie and Booby Girl.
Yeah, I don't know why either :/

Purrs, Julie

pilch92 said...

I always say the more nicknames a cat has, the more loved he or she is. We have many nicknames for each cat here. Joanie- Spumoni, Jo Jo, Spoo, Sammy is Samster, Stud Muffin, Love, Brdy is Brodester, Mr. Bro Jangles--I could go on and on. XO

Darla M Sands said...

I think our dear Ellen Pilch is where I learned about multiple pet names ensuring love. :D I think that shows your status, sweet Cleopatra.And the same goes for our spoiled kitties.

Darla M Sands said...

Oh, Eastside Cat mom said what my maternal grandfather used to say. And Lynn's comment cracked me up. Humans should be careful what they say.

lol

Best wishes!

Summer said...

I don't think I have any nicknames - my human's not big on them. It's just never been something she does. Maybe that is for the better.

ZOOLATRY said...

Well, other than the normal and boring "June" ... there is Juney, JuneyBug and of course, most often JUNE (that one is said quite loudly I must add). And because "she" is somewhat on the older side, you know "golden years", I often get called the names of the cats who came before, which I tend to ignore, and sometimes even the names of her
human grandchildren!!! Go figure, heaven knows where her head is when those names pop out of her mouth. Once in awhile, I do hear SweetiePie and Cute-Ums.

Ivan from WMD said...

I get called Izzits or Izzits Bizzits sometimes. We're both called Baby Boy too, even though we are hardly babies.

~Izzy.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "I have lots of names! Most of them are things that sound like Lulu, such as Zhu-Zhu and Zhooze and such. Also I get called Fluffernutter and Propeller-Tail a lot for some reason. Mostly it's Dada who calls me those names."
Charlee: "And I have lots of nicknames too, like Charlee-Cakes and Char-Char and—"
Chaplin: "Don't forget Skunk."
Charlee: "NOBODY CALLS ME SKUNK!"
Chaplin: "Uh-huh. And I have lots of nicknames too like Chappie and Chap-Chap and Mon Chappietan and also sometimes I get called less savory things but that's usually when I'm harassing Skunk over there."
Charlee: "I AM NOT CALLED SKUNK!"

meowmeowmans said...

Ava wants you to know that not only do we not call her by her actual given name, we also make any song that comes on the radio or commercial jingles about her. MOL

Tama-Chan, Benny, Vidock, Violette, Ollie, Heloise, Momo, Ryu said...

We think they should simply call you "Beautiful." No need to go looking for anything else. Really!

We don't go in too much for nicknames at the moment. Tama is called "Ma Tama" (as in "My Tama" in French) and Benny is called Benny-Boo (or "Little Sh5t" at times...).Our Beebs was probably the most nicknamed kitty here, with Da Beebs, Beebsteroo and Houbibi.

Purrs,
Tama and Benny

Brian's Home Blog said...

Dang, it was here when you posted but my comment isn't. Nicknames are a sure sign of love and we all have them too!

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I love all the nicknames in your house! When I first adopted Mudpie my mother told me she was never going to learn her name because I called her sweetie all the time.