Saturday, September 16, 2017

Relationships Are a Work in Progress

The other night I'd reached a limit with dad's affectionate pats, and let him know it.  Now, this is something mom's been trying to work on with me (of course, unbeknownst to her it'll never work) for a while, but what she doesn't realize is that I don't know any better.
     She can yell and scold me all she wants, but what I hear is this, "                                 !".  I'm not like a human kid, although I know that's what some human kids hear when their parents yell at them.  In my mind, dad got too rough, I rightfully let him know I was unhappy (don't worry, it only took a trickle of hydrogen peroxide and one bandage), end of story.  
     They disagreed, I silently stuck to my limit with dad, mom scolded, then we all got ready for bed. 
     Anyway, here's how my relationship with dad really works (when I say so). 
I love them both and they love me, and we're all three still figuring out how to get along.  Of course it's not like it's difficult or anything.

Not being one to let an opportunity pass I'll end this post as such:  dad, for all the times you "comment" on my swinging, sagging pouch, I'm seeing in that first photo some pretty saggy, graying facial features...     

14 comments:

Ivan from WMD said...

Cleo, we don't get why moms and dads get all wound up over stuff like this. First, it's up to them to learn *our* language. Second, sometimes we just have to nip. Both Caroline and Ivan nip when brushed--Ivan because he gets overly affectionate and Caroline...well, because she's a girl.

Eastside Cats said...

Cleo, if an ambulance and ER aren't needed, then it's a nothing-burger. Chuck will put his teeth on me if he's had enough, and The POM (Patty O'Malley) will nip my inner upper arm to refocus my attention on hum big furry self!

Summer said...

Cleo, you are a tortie, and if I know anything from living with Binga, it's that many torties overstimulate a lot easier than other cats! And it's not something that can be scolded away or unlearned (because it's not a learned response), it's just what humans have to work with. Your humans need to figure out the signals and stop petting or touching you before you get overstimulated. These signals can be really subtle - skin twitching and purring really loudly are two of the signals. Even acting like you are really enjoying yourself (a little TOO much) can be a signal! You may even have your own - your humans need to carefully observe your behavior and see what you do in the moments before you turn. And when they see it again, stop the contact. Really, it's that simple, and it's what my human does with Binga.

The Island Cats said...

Cleo, the others are right. Your peeps need to learn your limits...and every cat is different when it comes to that.

Brian's Home Blog said...

I think you're doing a good job training especially since they are humans. You look darn pretty Cleo!

pilch92 said...

You were just helping him learn boundaries.

My Mind's Eye said...

MOL Cleo as long as the humans follow the Cat rules (that change w/o notice) all is good, RIGHT? Tell your dad to be thankful you sit in his lap I don't do laps AT all. Every so often I'll sit on the arm of the chair or couch with my front paws in mom's lap but NOT for long.
Hugs madi your bfff

Tamago said...

Sounds like your humans still need more learning, but as you titled, relationships are WIP :-) By the way, "swinging, sagging pouch" LOL.

The Whiskeratti said...

We know how hard it is to train hoomins. You have our total sympathy. Just keep at it.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

You didn't do anything wrong, sweet girl. These things just happen and everyone needs to move past it. Sounds like you're doing a good job keeping your humans in line ;)

Lola The Rescued Cat said...

Cleo, the humans will learn their limits. Things like this happen.

John Bellen said...

Sometimes humans like to give more affection than cats want, Cleo. It may be annoying for you but it'sall meant well. We know, in turn, that you don't mean any harm. Well, not much. It's all part of living together.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

cleo...hay ewe gorgeous......eye finded a diaree page frum de book oh dude; up til de last... him all wayz gave de food servizz gurl a what for when him had a mind two...N him lived all most 17 yeerz....hope ewe N joy yur week a head ~~~ ♥♥♥

tuna of moon =^..^=

Furries said...

It takes a little while for everyone to learn each other's limits. But it sounds like it's all working out pretty well. I have a "swinging, sagging pouch" - it's actually normal - and it helps kitties avoid getting their belly ripped open when fighting with another animal. Swing away!