Tuesday, August 25, 2015

End of the Road

I think this is it.  It's not like I've had much to say lately anyway.  I've gotten fed up with the job to the point where I've spent weeks and weeks searching for work a little further west and now it's time to call it a day.
Peeballs and Pooplogs is officially going on hiatus.  Or retiring.  Or just going away for a while.  Who knows.
I've accepted a job out in Greenville, SC, and we'll be moving soon.  Up first will be a week-long road trip to see my children and grandchildren in Minnesota.  We're overdue for a vacation, and we're really looking forward to this.
As soon as we get back we'll have just a couple of days to pick up a rental truck, load it up and head out to the new place.

My last day of work is this coming Friday, and then the fun begins.  My wife has spent the last few weeks doing, well, everything.  Other than bringing home boxes and a few minor things I needed to get done around our apartment she's done all the work.  She's been cleaning and packing, and even had the last two weeks' menus planned out to use up what's in our freezer, fridge and cupboards efficiently and effectively.
I have too much to do at work, but as of yesterday I've officially accepted the notion that I'll never get it all done in these last few days.
We went to Carolina Beach State Park a weekend or so ago for a cookout and to ceremoniously burn Orbit's perch and the food and water dish "riser" I'd built for him so he could eat and drink without having to bend so low when he first showed signs of struggling. We donated most of his other belongings, but didn't have the heart to toss out or give away these few things.  
We'll be living on-site again, at least to start.  There will be the customary exorbitant pet fees and such, so it doesn't look like we'll have another cat any time soon.  I'd be happy- for now- with maybe volunteering once a week or so at a local shelter once we're out there.  
Do these places ever need someone to simply come in, play with and talk to the cats held prisoner?  When we donated Orbit's things to Atlantic Animal Hospital we went into the adoption room for a final goodbye to the handful of feline inmates behind the glass wall.

Maybe I'll do this again some day.  Maybe with a different title, maybe a variation of this one.  We'll see.  I'd hoped to keep it going, but I must make this the last Peeballs and Pooplogs post.

Orbit says "Bye" and "Thank you"...









 

13 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

Am sitting at my computer, crying.
As I wish you and your wife all the happiness in starting off anew, in a way I am losing a friend. First Orbit, and now you.
But in the end, I know that you two will have another cat, or cats. Perhaps Orbit's 'leaving' was his way of giving you the okay to break the old cycle, and begin a new one...and that's just what you are doing.
Farewell, and good luck! I will not remove Peeballs and Pooplogs from my bloglist, in the hopes that you'll stop back to update us on your new lives.
Gotta find a tissue around this office...

Marg said...

Good luck on your new move. I live in Anderson, S.C. which is an hour from Greenville. So if you ever need a car fix. you are welcome to come here. There are 22 cats here who always need some attention. Any way wishing you good luck with your new adventure. Just leave me a comment on my blog if you want my email address.

Ivan from WMD said...

Eastside Cats said it more eloquently than we could have. We find this so very sad but know that a change will bring good back into your lives. And we also know that some day another cat (or cats) will find you, probably when you will least expect it. Stay well, friends. And please let us know every now and then how your new venture is going.

William & co.

Catio Tales said...

Thank you for this post. I wish you every success and happiness in your new place and hope one day you will be in a position to free a prisoner and give him/her an incredible home like you did for Orbit. I miss Orbit. But that's not a helfpul thing to say really as I know you miss him from the bottom of your heart.
Good luck, from Karin and everyone at Punapippuri's blog.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thank you for sharing Orbit with us over the years, we know he was special. Maybe one of these days we will get to say howdy since we live in Greenville, SC too. Travel safely.

Summer said...

I'm sad to see you come to an end with your blog... but I do think that someday there is a kitty in your future. Probably when you least expect it.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

WE too are sad to see you close up shop. We grew to love Orbit and had high hopes that another feline would find it's way to your heart. Maybe one day when the time is right for both you and your wife. Oh yes, you will find that there are places who love having someone come in an cuddle with the kitties. WE hope that you can find a place in Greenville. YOu are surrounded by many in the blogging community and we know Brian's Dad would be of great help in maybe showing you in the right direction for kitty cuddling in the area. We wish you best and hope you do continue here or with another blog.

Cats Herd You said...

We're so sorry to see you leaving the blogosphere, but we hope that this move will be a fresh start where you can have new adventures. When the time is right, the right cat will come along. In the meantime, you may be stepping away from the blogosphere, but the good wishes from all of us are going with you, wherever you are.

The Island Cats said...

Good luck with your move and your new job. We're hoping that this is just a little hiatus on your part and one day you'll be back in the blogosphere...hopefully with a new kitty. Purrs....

da tabbies o trout towne said...

guys...while we didnt have the honor of knowing you or orbit as well
as everyone else....one things for sure,
we were honored to call orbit... and you both.... our friends
I wish you guys nothing but the best...
change can be scary, it can also be good and if I may;
I wont say good bye..just til later ...hiatus sounds better...
anyway...and when you finally meet " peeball junior " you'll know
orbit sent him straightaway to you...happiness on the journey ahead~~~~





Sadie & Itty said...

I wish you all good things in the future. Orbit brought smiles every time I looked at your blog. He was such a special cat.

Yes, many shelters want people to play and pet and socialize all residents. I spend several hours every Saturday doing just that.

Again, I wish you all the best with your new adventure.

Jackie
mom to Sadie, Itty, and Little Boy

Unknown said...

Oh gosh! this is a bittersweet post. I came across your blog way late actually, after Orbit had passed but I enjoyed going back through and reading about him. And Little Man too.
I am happy you have been able to make some decisions for your future. Living with not knowing exactly whats coming can be really stressful.
Greenville SC is a lovely little city and I am sure you'll like it.
There's a kitty or two out there in the future for you.
Keep us updated if you can
Good Luck!

Ann Boyajian said...

Lump in my throat. Eastside Cats said it all. I will keep you on my blog list. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. You had Orbit for a very long time, and that makes it even harder. I have not posted for a while, not out of grief, but because life has intruded a bit more lately. I know there are shelters everywhere that need volunteers - shelter cats need a lot of human interaction and love. Most of them hate being there, and they crave human kindness and attention. I got involved for a while in sewing small cat bed/pillows for the cages. The theory is that kitties need a soft surface, and that way, when they get adopted, the pillow can go with them. I hope you can stay involved with cats somehow, even if you don't adopt another one.
Purrs.